Installing playsms on windows

My environment was:

• Windows 8.1 32 bit
  • Prolink PHS 301 3.5G modem
  • Latest XAMPP
  • Gammu 1.32 (I’m searching for the stable one, if you want the latest version of Gammu, its up to you)
  • playSMS that still support windows, v0992 or v098 (mine was 098)

Here’s the step:

• Step 1: install your modem driver/software, and make sure that work properly

• Step 2: install your XAMPP in C:, choose the complete setup not minimal or the other

• Step 3: edit your php.ini files in C:\xampp\php with notepad++, sublime or any text editor

• Step 4: first edit php.ini

• on the line 747 this : register_argc_argv=On, to be set ON, (if your default was off)
    • then, on the line 1045 edit this : date.timezone= "Asia/Jakarta" change the Asia/Jakarta which suitable to your timezone, save it
  • Step 5: download Gammu, choose the Windows version, e.g : Gammu-1.33.0-Windows.zip

• Step 6: extract that and make folder called gammu in C:\, and then paste everything inside the folder (Gammu version) that you have been extracted, normally there are 4 folder : bin, include, lib, share

• Step 7: inside the C:\gammu folder, make 4 new folder, inbox, outbox, sent, and error

• Step 8: find this file: gammurc and smsdrc located on C:\gammu\share\doc\gammu\examples\config

• Step 9: copy that two file to C:\gammu\bin

• Step 10: edit that two file

• Step 11: gammurc file to be like this

on the line 9-22:

[gammu]

device = com12: ; your modem port, check Control Panel -> Device manager
connection = at115200
; Do not use model configuration unless you really need it
;model = 6110
synchronizetime = yes
logfile = gammulog
logformat = textall
;use_locking = yes
;gammuloc = locfile
;startinfo = yes
;gammucoding = utf8
;usephonedb = yes

dont forget to remove the beginning semicolon on synchronizetime, logfile, and logformat

• Step 12: smsdrc file to be like this

on the line 6 to 15:

[gammu]
device = com12:
#model = 6110
connection = at115200
synchronizetime = yes
logfile = gammulog # this is not used at all in SMSD mode
logformat = textall
#use_locking = yes
#gammuloc = gammu.us
#startinfo = yes

line 33:

service = files

line 35:

#PIN = 1234  # add hash if your default is none

line 73 to 80:

# Files backend configuration
InboxPath = C:\gammu\inbox\
OutboxPath = C:\gammu\outbox\
SentSMSPath = C:\gammu\sent\
ErrorSMSPath = C:\gammu\error\
InboxFormat = unicode
OutboxFormat = unicode
TransmitFormat = auto

edit that if you make another place for the folder that i told you in the step 7

• Step 13: register your Gammu path C:\gammu\bin in the PATH at the environment variables of windows (googling for this)

• Step 14: test your Gammu

open Command Prompt as administrator, and navigate to C:\gammu\bin
after that type this : gammu --identify
if it shows you information of your modem, that means your Gammu can connect with your modem, if not, back again to the step 11, and read carefully the step
try to SMS with this command : gammu --sendsms TEXT +62XXXXXXXXX

ok thats it for gammu

• Step 15: playSMS

download the playSMS v0992 or v098, and extract that
make new folder in xampp\htdocs called playsms and inside that make new folder again called web
after that, copy all file and folder inside web folder of your playSMS extracted folder to xammp\htdocs\playsms\web
open your PhpMyAdmin and make database called playsms
import the playsms.sql in the db folder of your extracted playSMS folder
in the xammp\htdocs\playsms\web you see config-dist.php edit that, so it can be connect with your database, save, and rename the file to config.php
open in the web browser, http://localhost/playsms/web and login as admin
configure everything in main configuration menu, that suitable to your environment, don’t forget to select Gammu as your gateway

ok, you’re getting ready now

• Step 16: find the config.php file in C:\xampp\htdocs\playsms\web\plugin\gateway\gammu

on the line 5, edit like this : $gammu_param['path'] = "C:\gammu;

• Step 17: in the C: create folder called playsms and inside that folder make 3 new folders, bin, etc, and logs

• for bin folder :
      copy these file playsms_gammu_start.bat, playsms_gammu_stop.bat, (your extracted playsms folder)\contrib\gammu\windows paste them to C:\playsms\bin

• copy this file (your extracted playsms folder)\daemon\windows\bin all file inside bin, paste them to C:\playsms\bin

• copy this file (your extracted playsms folder)\daemon\windows\etc playsms.bat, paste it to C:\playsms\etc

• copy this file (your extracted playsms folder)\contrib\gammu\windows gammu-smsdrc paste it to C:\playsms\etc

• check playsms.bat in C:\playsms\etc make sure the path is correct to the resource

• check gammu-smsdrc in C:\playsms\etc edit, and make it same like smsdrc file in C:\gammu\bin

• Step 18: the last step

go to C:\gammu and you will see folders: inbox, outbox, sent, and error
make them all full control permissions folders, you can change this one by one, by right-click the folder -> properties -> security tab -> click edit -> on the ‘group or username’ area, choose your active users, and checked full control permission -> apply -> ok

do that step for all 4 folders

Now, youre done!

Start the playsms_gammu_start.bat in C:\playsms\bin as administrator

Try to sms via playSMS via your browser :slight_smile:

Problems that I experienced:

• SMS move to queue but never sent/move to outgoing = it means your C:\playsms\bin playsmsd.bat is not working properly, it cant ‘grab’ the queue code of the messages, check the path in C:\playsms\etc playsms.bat make sure all are correct
  • SMS is on outgoing table, but the status is failed = check your gammu gateway config, also check modem connectivity and ballance of your sim card
  • SMS is on outgoing table, but the status is pending = do same method like failed method, and also check the permision of inbox, outbox, sent, error in C:\gammu make sure they are full control as step 18
  • Cant receive sms in inbox = maybe playSMS can’t handle the message, check at incoming message table in playSMS if the message status is ‘unhandled’ that means your messages cant move to inbox table (still dont know how to solve this problem)

OK thats it for now.

any question will be replied as soon as i checked, hehe
and many thanks for MR. Anton Raharja who make this awesome stuff
sorry for my bad english too :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,
Rizki Masjahri

3 Likes

I hope you don’t mind, I’ll help to prettify your post

the post in here use markdown

Please, I need help.

I did all setting of the top, but the sms are just queued table. and it is not generated or a file to the folders, inbox, outbox, sent, error. just stand in line. already checked the directories several times file “playsms.bat” just do not get to the line SET PLAYSMS_SPOOL this folder would be that since we did not create the above configuration.

1. are you sure your gammu gateway work properly? it can send and receive sms? and which version is it?

2. which version of your playsms software?

3. FYI the PLAYSMS_SPOOL dont have any effect

I’m having exactly the same issue as @HericlisM. When sending a SMS from ‘My Account -> Send SMS’ no phone will receive the message. The queue ‘Administration -> View SMS queue’ will show the messages but,again, they aren’t being delivered. I’ve made sure to follow every single instruction detailed in this guide and Gammu worked via CLI (gammu --sendsms TEXT +number) perfectly but not via PlaySMS.

For reference: my PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate x86, PlaySMS is 0998 and Gammu is 1.33.0.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mr. Rizki

Can you help me. I have some problem with others…
sms go to outgoing sms, but status always Pending
the permision of inbox, outbox, sent, error in C:\gammu FULL CONTROL
modem connectivity and ballance is GOOD
I use v098

Regards,
Hica

Continuing the discussion from Installing playsms on windows:

Continuing the discussion from Installing playsms on windows:

Can you all show me the smsd.log at C:\gammu\logs please

Hi @Igor_Mendonca if you saw the queue in View SMS queue it means playsmsd wasn’t running, or at least not configured correctly

see on OP post about “Problems that I experienced”, about playsmsd.

anton

Hi Mr. Rizky

I don’t have folder C:\gammu\logs

only:
bin
error
index
include
lib
outbox
sent

let me know what you think

Hello @anton, thank you for your reply. Well right now I’m completely stuck with the “pending” state. I’ve checked, double checked and triple checked folder permissions, playsmsd.bat and playsms.bat, and I’m still unable to get through this issue. Could you please provide examples of those .bat files for this specific example just like OP did with php.ini, smsdrc and gammurc?

Regarding checking Gammu’s gateway configuration I must confess I don’t really know even where to start. If you’re talking about steps 11, 12 and 13 I’ve already triple checked those too. On PlaySMS page the only configuration I have for gammu is basically seeing if the gateway is active, which it is, and under ‘Main configurations’ to select gammu as the active gateway module.

Kind regards, Igor.

Well right now I’m completely stuck with the “pending” state. I’ve checked, double checked and triple checked folder permissions, playsmsd.bat and playsms.bat, and I’m still unable to get through this issue. Could you please provide examples of those .bat files for this specific example just like OP did with php.ini, smsdrc and gammurc?

Regarding checking Gammu’s gateway configuration I must confess I don’t really know even where to start. If you’re talking about steps 11, 12 and 13 I’ve already triple checked those too. On PlaySMS page the only configuration I have for gammu is basically seeing if the gateway is active, which it is, and under ‘Main configurations’ to select gammu as the active gateway module.

Kind regards, Igor.

you dont have the logs folder, and also the inbox folder, if you follow the step 11+12 you see ‘logfile’ in there, remove the beginning semi-colon, it usually create the logs folder automatically in c:\gammu,
now, make the logs and inbox folder, and tell me what i asked before

here my playsms.bat in C:\playsms\etc

@echo off SET PLAYSMS_PATH=C:\xampp\htdocs\playsms\web SET PLAYSMS_BIN=C:\playsms\bin SET PLAYSMS_LOG=C:\playsms\logs SET PLAYSMS_SPOOL=C:\playsms\spool SET REFRESH_RATE=2 SET PHP_CLI=C:\xampp\php\php SET GAMMU_BIN=C:\gammu\bin

and here playsmd.bat in C:\playsms\bin

@echo off

call C:\playsms\etc\playsms.bat

:while1
%PHP_CLI% %PLAYSMS_BIN%\playsmsd.php %PLAYSMS_PATH%
timeout %REFRESH_RATE%  goto :while1

My files are 100% the same and the messages are still under ‘Pending’ state. I must confess I have no idea of what do to right now.

Yes, my gammu, a send normal SMS, gammu 1.33 …

here my smsd.log

Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Using FILES service
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Configuring Gammu SMSD…
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Warning: No PIN code in C:\playsms\etc\gammu-smsdrc file
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: CommTimeout=30, SendTimeout=30, ReceiveFrequency=0, ResetFrequency=0, HardResetFrequency=0
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: checks: CheckSecurity=0, CheckBattery=1, CheckSignal=1
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: mode: Send=1, Receive=1
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: deliveryreport = sms
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: phoneid =
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Inbox is “C:\playsms\spool\inbox” with format "unicode"
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Outbox is “C:\playsms\spool\outbox” with format “unicode” and transmission format "auto"
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Sent SMS moved to "C:\playsms\spool\sent"
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: SMS with errors moved to "C:\playsms\spool\error"
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Created Windows RW shared memory at 00000000020D0000
Thu 2015/07/16 23:39:30 gammu-smsd[1684]: Starting phone communication…

all sms goto Queue SMS and not exit this.

I’m also having the same issue. There is no log folder automatically created, which i created manually later. But still my outgoing sms box has marked all sms as pending… Can’t figure out what’s causing this…

Ok. surprisingly I managed to get around it by running as a normal user without clicking on run as admin…

The reason why I dropped support for playSMS on Windows on later releases was I simply didn’t have enough knowledge on how to make it work flawlessly just like in Linux, on Windows. :smile:

I also thought maybe windows users could use some sort of virtual machine like Virtualbox, VMware or Docker to use playSMS on Windows.

anton

for everyone, here’s my file and folders you can download here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3MYeaHI48N8WmszVzB5SDFLb0k/view?usp=sharing

is fully customized by me, so, you just setup your database and modem information

tutorial :
there are 3 folders : gammu, playsms, playsms-htdocs
copy gammu and playsms to C:
copy playsms-htdocs to your htdocs folder and rename the folder to playsms
cofigure like the steps i give to you
your’re done

Would be nice if someone can help to make the installer.

Anton

Thanx … Seems to be working ok for outgoing sms, but having 2 issues.

1. i do not receive incoming sms
  2. status is only displayed as “sent”, there is no delivery status.

What may be causing this